Monday, April 18, 2011

inner pasta and garganelli peace

This week's lunch prep started with a 2 hour pasta making extravaganza.  Hand making pasta is so relaxing(especially after a long drunken weekend).  I had plenty of prep on my hands, but making pasta was on the top of my list.  I used whole wheat flour to make some wheat pasta.  Good stuff, a little chewy in texture.  I think next time I'll use a little more ap flour in the ratio.  I made garganelli with the dough, which is why it took so long.
As you can see they are little penne looking noodles only you roll them from opposite corners so the flap shows.  Really fun authentic looking pasta.  This was my first time making them so hence the documentation of the whole process(plus I think their real cool and not as well known).
The whole process of making a pasta dish from scratch is, without better words, heart warming.  It brightens my day to create something so delicious and time invested.  It gives me what I need to get through another day.  It is the epitome of cooking in general.  Okay enough.....
  After rolling out the pasta, you cut little squares and wrap each one around a little rod(width of a pencil or so) from opposite corners.  As seen, you can roll ridges into each one(I used a sushi roller, but quit after a couple, I just wanted to see if it worked.

An hour and change later I had me a bunch of garganelli.  They cooked up real nice.  I even tossed them in bacon fat instead of oil when I finished(I'm sick, I need help, I know.  I just love pig so much).  Using some pork I confit'd in some duck fat the day prior, I made my dish.
Garganelli with a Pork Ragu
First I sauteed some wild mushrooms in butter.  Then I added the pork confit along with some sun dried tomato soffrito condiment.  Which is very flavorful base of onions, tomatoes, garlic, herbs, and spices.  I deglazed with a little white wine and chicken stock, tossed in the garganelli with a little goat cheese and tossed quickly.  I plated with a topping of goat cheese and chopped candied bacon.  So good, I promise you.  I ate myself a dish of it and I was in heaven. There is nothing that can bring me down today.  Nothing!


No comments:

Post a Comment