Thursday, July 7, 2011

who babysits the babysitter?

I just stumbled on this article and thought it was worth a read.  Although I disagree with many of the points made it isn't all a load of bull.  After all it was put together by acclaimed pulitzer-prize winning restaurant critic Jonathan Gold.

I'm not going to get into the list because it's purely an opinion piece(as is this).  I mainly wanted to ask who critique's the critic?  Obviously in this case, Gold has quite the prize under his belt, but even still how did that come to be?  Who do we trust?  Between Yelp and Tripadvisor, Mr. Gold and his colleagues, and a local magazine among many more critics, amateur or professional, where do we go to be judged?  Who do I trust to taste my food?  To rate my hospitality?  If we're pulling names out of a hat here than I just assume get my feedback from my mother.  I'm four stars in her eyes every time, lol!

In the case of the babysitter we have the nanny cam, we are the babysitters to the babysitters.  So collectively we as chefs collectively are our own critics and the only one's we can trust.  I guess James Beard got it half right.  I want everyone to be completely satisfied and overjoyed with there experience at my establishment, but to cook for another chef, now thats when I have a little more fun and give it that little bit extra.  Sorry mom.  I love you, but my peers will always be better critics of my food than you.  But I always appreciate the encouragement.

No comments:

Post a Comment